Readers! Please note that any information and advice contained on our site is not a substitute for personal consultation with a professional/doctor and is not investment advice. The use of the information posted on our blog in practice should always be consulted with appropriately qualified experts. The editors and publishers of our portal are not at fault in the application of the information published on the site.
The world of vaping can be a confusing place for newcomers. From deciding on the right vaping product to choosing the perfect e-liquid, there’s a lot to take in. One of the most critical decisions a vaper needs to make is regarding the base of their e-liquid: PG (Propylene Glycol) versus VG (Vegetable Glycerin). In this article, we’ll explain the difference between these two substances and guide you through making the best choice for your vaping needs.
What are PG and VG?
Both PG and VG are odorless liquids which are used as the base in e-liquids, producing vapor when heated. They carry the flavor and nicotine in your e-liquid. However, they have distinct differences that can significantly impact your vaping experience.
Propylene Glycol (PG):
- Thinner Consistency: PG is thinner than VG, which means it’s less likely to build up on the heating element of your vaping product.
- Flavor Carrier: Due to its thin consistency, PG carries flavor slightly better than VG.
- Throat Hit: PG provides a stronger throat hit, similar to the sensation of smoking tobacco.
Vegetable Glycerin (VG):
- Thicker Consistency: VG is thicker, which can mean bigger and denser vapor clouds.
- Sweeter Taste: VG has a slightly sweet taste, which can slightly alter the e-liquid’s overall flavor.
- Smoother on the Throat: VG provides a smoother sensation than PG, making it a favorite for those who prefer a milder throat hit.
Why is the PG vs. VG Ratio Important?
The PG/VG ratio in your e-liquid can affect:
- Flavor delivery
- Vapor production
- Throat sensation
- The likelihood of allergies or irritations
- Performance and longevity of your vaping product
Most commercial e-liquids mention their PG/VG ratio on the label. A common ratio is 70/30 (PG/VG), providing a balanced experience for most vapers. However, based on personal preference, some might opt for a 50/50 blend or even 100% VG liquids.
How to Choose the Right Ratio for Your Vaping Product
- Device Compatibility: Modern vaping products, especially sub-ohm devices, are better suited for high VG e-liquids due to their larger wicking holes. Older models with small wicking holes might clog with high VG e-liquids.
- Vapor Production: If you enjoy creating large vapor clouds, then a higher VG e-liquid is the right choice. VG produces denser and more voluminous clouds compared to PG.
- Throat Sensation: For those who have recently switched from smoking and are looking for a similar sensation, a higher PG ratio would be more suitable.
- Flavor Preference: While PG is known to deliver crisper flavors due to its ability to carry flavors better, VG’s slight sweetness can enhance certain e-liquid profiles.
- Allergies: Some people might be sensitive or allergic to PG, experiencing itching or hives. If you face such issues, consider switching to a higher VG blend or even 100% VG e-liquids.
Caring for Your Vaping Product with Different E-Liquids
Irrespective of the e-liquid choice, proper maintenance of your vaping product is essential. For high VG e-liquids, ensure you regularly clean the coils and replace them as needed, given VG’s thick consistency, which can lead to quicker buildup.
For high PG e-liquids, due to its thin nature, you might experience occasional leaks. Ensure all seals are tight and regularly inspect your equipment for any signs of wear and tear.
Choosing between PG and VG isn’t about finding the “best” choice universally, but rather the best choice for your personal preferences and vaping product. Both PG and VG have their merits, and many vapers end up using a blend of the two to get the best of both worlds.
As you continue to explore the vast and varied world of vaping, don’t hesitate to experiment with different PG/VG ratios. And always remember, the best e-liquid is the one that provides you with the most satisfying and enjoyable experience, aligning with your tastes and the specifications of your vaping product.